Chipotle-Cherry Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- 2 tablespoons chipotle chiles in adobo puree*
- 2 tablespoons Steen's Pure Cane Syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lea & Perrins (Worcestershire sauce)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the ketchup and next 11 ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Sauce can be made up to 1 week ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate until ready to use. Makes 2 cups.
*To make chipotle chile puree, place 1 can of chipotle chiles in adobo in a blender and process until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 months or freeze in tablespoon portions for up to 6 months.